Saturday, October 6, 2012

Conquering Fear

Fear. I've mentioned dealing with this emotion in quite a few of my posts. It's something that I struggle with—sometimes to a paralyzing degree. It's a daily, moment-by-moment struggle, but I'm determined to overcome because fear is an enemy of faith.  

Perhaps you've heard the expression that fear stands for False Evidence Appearing Real. Well, I found this great quote by Mark Twain on the subject: “I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.”

Fear will make you remain silent when you should speak. Fear will cause you to run when you should stand and fight. Fear will tell you to give up rather than pursue your passion. Fear will persuade you to blend in rather than stand out. Fear will convince you to settle.

Fear makes bad decisions; causes anxiety, stress and ill health; damages relationships; and destroys dreams. Fear opens the door to all manner of pain, strife, and even hatred, which wreck havoc in your life. Just ask Job: "For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me." (Job 3:25) It was Job's own fears that brought about his suffering, not God, not even satan.

Fear prevents you from living the amazing, abundant life that you were meant to live.

God doesn't want us to live in fear, not even of Him. Perfect love cannot exist where there is fear. Fear breeds resentment such that those who fear Him will never be able to truly love Him or receive His love. 

As I've mentioned in a previous post, we come into this world with only two fears. Over time, we develop more than 7,000. That's a lot of fear! We may not be able to let go of all of them, but I believe it's possible to conquer them. One day, one moment at a time with courage and faith in a perfect love.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment."
1 John 4:18
"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it."–Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment